Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Some concerns

I have a few concerns with the plans after the painting fiasco yesterday.

I'm a little concerned that it's going to end up looking just too long. I know Jon and Kandy can help with that, but it's something like 114' from the end of the garage to the end of the house. I'm wondering if it wouldn't help a bit to move the garage to the north side of the house--connected via a breezeway--and make more of a 'T' shape with the house rather than the current 'L' shape. The garage could protect the bedrooms from the wind--of which there is much--and also create some sort of cool summer getaway with a water garden or something like that.

I also don't like that at both the northern and southern end there are no windows. I'd like a little something at each end. Not much, just a little window to draw you in. 60' is a pretty long sight line to end on a wall.

We are trying to minimize the distance between our room and the stairs so, well, at least for the next few years while the kids are still little. Long term, though, it would make more sense to have the laundry room closer to the bedrooms and bathrooms where the laundry is generated. The kids could have a laundry chute then. I loved our laundry chute when I was little!

I was also surprised at how much the hill falls away to the south. I always think of it as just falling away to the east for some reason.

My mother-in-law showed me some information on the Aldo Leopold Legacy Center. While looking at their construction techniques, I realized we could have a thermal flux zone on the east-west bedroom wing with some cool interior windows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home